Kindness, humility and equality: how the Sikh tradition of Sewa.. - Asian Massive Crew Community 2002/2020
Home Control Panel Gallery Chat Room Arcade Eye Candy Projects Multimedia Networking Search Sign Up

Advertisements

★ ♥ ★ A Multicultural Community that unites people from all over the world ★ ♥ ★
Go Back   Asian Massive Crew Community 2002/2020 > Religion & Culture > Comparative Studies in: Society, History & Religion
Forgotten Your Password? Register
User Tag List

Kindness, humility and equality: how the Sikh tradition of Sewa..
Old 11-03-2024
Asiansoul
Nutty Poster!

Asiansoul will become famous soon enough
My Mood:
has no status.

Kindness, humility and equality: how the Sikh tradition of Sewa..

I read this and thought...Hmm, Sounds a lot like what the Bhagavad Gita teaches

Kindness, humility and equality: how the Sikh tradition of Sewa can transcend cultural boundaries and foster unity

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...lfless-service

- Jaswinder Singh

Quote:
At the heart of selfless service in Sikhism is the genuine desire to alleviate the suffering of others

At the core of Sikhism lies the philosophy of selfless service, known as Sewa.

Sewa is a principle that transcends religious boundaries and holds universal relevance. The philosophy encourages individuals to engage in acts of kindness, compassion and service without expecting anything in return.

While deeply embedded in Sikh tradition, people of all backgrounds can adopt the principles of Sewa to enhance their day-to-day lives.

Start small
Sewa is not so much about a set of specific actions but about the intent behind those actions. It emphasises performing service with a pure heart and without expecting any kind of personal gain. The driving force behind it is the genuine desire to alleviate the suffering of others.

Sewa can be as simple as performing daily acts of kindness. Holding the door for someone, helping a neighbour with groceries, or offering a kind word to a stranger are all examples of selfless acts. Individuals can create a positive ripple effect in their communities by making these actions a regular habit. In more direct ways, one can engage in volunteer work. Whether it’s contributing time at a local soup kitchen, participating in community cleanup projects, or offering assistance at a local charity.

Recognise the divine
Sewa promotes the idea that everyone is equal in the eyes of the divine, and serving others is a way to break down societal hierarchies.

Sikhs are taught to see the presence of God in everyone and everything. This concept is beautifully integrated into the practice of Sewa. When engaging in selfless service, try to recognise the “divine spark” within the person you are helping. This recognition transforms Sewa into a sacred act, and a direct expression of devotion to the divine present in all.

The langar – a central aspect of Sikhism where a free meal is served to all – exemplifies this principle. By serving food without discrimination, Sikhs embody the belief that everyone, regardless of background or faith, is a manifestation of the divine.

Be humble
At the heart of Sewa is the principle of humility. Sikhism teaches us that true service requires people to shed their ego and approach every act of kindness with a sense of humility. By humbling oneself, individuals acknowledge the interconnectedness of all beings and recognise that each person, regardless of their social status or background, deserves respect and compassion.

Humbleness in Sewa is not just a superficial display but a genuine acknowledgment of the equality of all human beings. The intent of doing Sewa is rooted in compassion, kindness, and selfless dedication to serving humanity.

Show empathy
Sewa extends beyond physical acts to include emotional and intellectual support. Mentoring someone in need, offering guidance, or simply being a supportive friend are potent ways to practise selfless service. By uplifting others, individuals can create a supportive and harmonious environment. Understanding the struggles and challenges others face is an aspect of Sewa. By actively listening, empathising, and helping, individuals can build connections and foster a sense of unity within their communities.

Embrace the spirit
Engaging in selfless service – or Sewa – promotes personal growth and can give youa sense of purpose and fulfilment, contributing to overall wellbeing. It can also create a more robust, more resilient community. By actively participating in the wellbeing of others, you contribute to creating a supportive and interconnected society.

Sewa transcends religious and cultural boundaries, fostering unity among people from diverse backgrounds. In essence, embracing the spirit of Sewa is a powerful way to positively impact the world and promote a more compassionate and interconnected society.

Jaswinder Singh is co-founder and acting chief executive of Sikh Volunteers Australia, which delivers food to disadvantaged groups around Australia

5 Lastest Threads by Asiansoul
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Giant prehistoric snake longer than a T-Rex found... Topics & Posts For Public Viewing Asiansoul 0 1 19-04-2024 00:09
What's with this channel? jantakareporter.com Topics & Posts For Public Viewing jay999 1 2 11-04-2024 22:22
Islam, Hinduism and Other Indian Religions Under... Topics & Posts For Public Viewing Asiansoul 0 1 11-04-2024 01:46
Man Takes Down Palestine Flag Outside House & WWE... Topics & Posts For Public Viewing Asiansoul 0 1 10-04-2024 15:50
Solo In Pakistan's Dodgiest Hood 🇵🇰 Topics & Posts For Public Viewing jay999 1 2 07-04-2024 22:35

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
jay999
Vewy Vewy Addictive!

jay999 will become famous soon enough
My Mood:
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 50
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 17
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0

Teacher: Why are you talking during my lesson? Student: Why are you teaching during my conversation?
I was thinking the same..Article written and shared on the Guardian..What more can you expect...Do you ever see them talking on the Gita? Nah, these sadistic shitheads enjoy waffling about Modi, BJP or castism, that's all

Bhagavad Gita:
Quote:
Charity:

“Acts of sacrifice, charity and penance are not to be given up; they must be performed. Indeed, sacrifice, Charity and penance purify even the great souls.”
Chapter 18 Verse 15

“Whatever you do, whatever you eat, whatever you offer or give away, And whatever austerities you perform – do that, O son of Kuntī, as an offering to Me.”
Chapter 9 Verse 27

“One who is not envious but is a kind friend to all living entities, who does not think himself a proprietor and is free from false ego, who is equal in both happiness and distress, who is tolerant, always satisfied, self-controlled, and engaged in devotional service with determination, his mind and intelligence fixed on Me – such a devotee of Mine is very dear to Me.” Chapter 12 Verse 13-14

“Charity given out of duty, without expectation of return, at the proper time and place, and to a worthy person is considered to be in the mode of goodness.”
Chapter 17 Verse 20

Old 5 Days Ago   #3
Asiansoul
Nutty Poster!

Male
Asiansoul will become famous soon enough
My Mood:
CountryAsiansoul's Flag is: UK
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 27
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 25
Likes (Received): 10
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 0

Star Sign: Star Sign
has no status.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay999 View Post
I was thinking the same..Article written and shared on the Guardian..What more can you expect...Do you ever see them talking on the Gita? Nah, these sadistic shitheads enjoy waffling about Modi, BJP or castism, that's all

Bhagavad Gita:
Quote:
Charity:

“Acts of sacrifice, charity and penance are not to be given up; they must be performed. Indeed, sacrifice, Charity and penance purify even the great souls.”
Chapter 18 Verse 15

“Whatever you do, whatever you eat, whatever you offer or give away, And whatever austerities you perform – do that, O son of Kuntī, as an offering to Me.”
Chapter 9 Verse 27

“One who is not envious but is a kind friend to all living entities, who does not think himself a proprietor and is free from false ego, who is equal in both happiness and distress, who is tolerant, always satisfied, self-controlled, and engaged in devotional service with determination, his mind and intelligence fixed on Me – such a devotee of Mine is very dear to Me.” Chapter 12 Verse 13-14

“Charity given out of duty, without expectation of return, at the proper time and place, and to a worthy person is considered to be in the mode of goodness.”
Chapter 17 Verse 20
I remember R.E lessons at school, not a single mention of the Bhagavad Gita or Vedas...All they every taught us was the 4 castes, and "3 Gods", Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva...I blame our 1st few generations...They never spoke up...They simply just went along with whatever bullshit was being shared, that includes the Indian/ Hindu teachers too