My bakra is better than your bakra - Asian Massive Crew Community 2002/2020
Home Control Panel Gallery Chat Room Arcade Eye Candy Projects Multimedia Networking Search Sign Up

Advertisements

★ ♥ ★ A Multicultural Community that unites people from all over the world ★ ♥ ★
Go Back   Asian Massive Crew Community 2002/2020 > Religion & Culture > Islam > Deen Talk
Forgotten Your Password? Register
User Tag List

My bakra is better than your bakra
Old 16-11-2010
Roohi
AMC Addict

Roohi will become famous soon enough
My Mood:
life is beautiful

My bakra is better than your bakra

BY FAISAL KAPADIA

Some years ago Eidul Azha or Bakra Eid, as it is commonly referred to, used to be a simple affair. A designated person would purchase the goats/cows for their family and the qasab/kasai would slaughter the animals and remind us of the great sacrifice taken by Prophet Ibrahim (peace be upon him) to show his devotion to God. These days however, Bakra Eid is a complicated production, one which involves a myriad of options and it goes something like this.

Pre-purchase: Honed by our various experiences with “pre-emptive” noise and fanfare, be it in politics or talk shows or the war against terror, we now do the same with Eid. This involves talking about meat, jokes about meat and randomly staring at animals while driving. This also includes reminiscing about last year’s BBQ and of course, conveniently forgetting how sick everyone got afterwards. At this point we tend to get blood-thirsty and everything with four legs looks like an option for slaughter. This is precisely why sellers of sacrificial animals have introduced more variety for us, with imported Australian and Russian cows and yaks now on the menu.

Of course there are some who would just go for the novelty of sacrificing something different, something that will leave everyone talking until next Eid; cows so large and heavy that their legs won’t support them and the mutated crushed-almond-eating-used-to-daily-massages-with-milk kind of beasts.

The Purchase: This involves military level planning and execution in two phases

Phase one involves several recon missions which involve going around the neighbourhood to scour other animals purchased. This also includes petting other people’s sacrificial purchases with the customary objection thrown in: ‘Have you seen the mole behind your animal’s ear?’ and ‘Tch tch, one leg is shorter, eh?’ This is but a cover since the real intention is to stroll around and figure out how much these people actually paid for the goat or cow, and how low the sellers are willing to go with other customers.

Phase two is all about finding the right mandi, the negotiations and finally, purchasing the animal. After the seller gives you dirty looks for lurking around as he tries to make his sale to other customers, you realise you need to start the negotiation process but it isn’t quite that simple. It usually begins with small talk – the weather, current government, politics or even the number of animals available in the market. The trick is to irritate the seller so much he tells you the price for the animal you are standing next to without even asking. And so, the negotiations begin. The amount offered to the seller is usually half of what was quoted, hearing which he not-so-politely tells you to get lost. This is when you hand over a wad of notes (usually a little below the final asking price) to the seller’s hand and attempt to take leave with the goat or cow as quickly as possible lest the seller realises what just happened.

The setup

The biggest and the most important aspect of Eid is what the neighbours will say when they look at your sacrificial animal. To get the entire neighbourhood talking, people have started putting their sacrificial purchases outside in full view. It all began with a few shamianas but has now turned into something similar to a mini-circus-like attraction outside certain houses. This is complete with spotlights to showcase the sparkling white canopy so that the entire area can not only see it but there must be enough parking for the steady stream of gawkers passing by in their cars. Also present are a few chairs so that children can get their pictures taken with their favourite animal. Two things must be kept in mind during this entire activity:

a) The price of the animal must be proportional to the number of times people ask about it and must be at least triple the purchase price by Eid day.

b) Myths must be attached to the animal by people who are lurking around. These lurkers casually tell people staring at the enormous cow how the sahib’s sacrificial animal sings like Bon Jovi on a full moon.

After qurbani the next few days are then spent visiting various doctors, complaining of stomach aches and excessive belching during prayers.

Please note that the above is not written with malice or intended to offend anyone. Instead, this is to make everyone think of those that are less fortunate and be a little less ostentatious and vulgar in our purchasing of bigger, better animals. Perhaps we can even make happen the miracle of buying two for the intended price of one and make someone else’s Eid complete? In either case dear readers, one can only wish you Eid Mubarak!

A look from you is as blinding as the sun
As stunning as your eyes I lose myself in
A look from you is as pure as the clear blue sky
When I'm with you
Every minute I'm not around you
I feel like I left something behind.
Every time I'm not looking at you
I feel like I am blind
~

"Sade Jism Ne Vakh Vich Is Duniya ,
Chalo Maniya Tahiyo Aeh Duriya Ne
Par Milde Jad Appan Har Janam De Vich,
Fer Is Janam Das Ki Majboriyan Ne"

5 Lastest Threads by Roohi
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post

Old 16-11-2010   #2
Parisienne
Dynamite Hands

female
Parisienne is just really niceParisienne is just really niceParisienne is just really niceParisienne is just really nice
View Member's Youtube Channel
My Mood:
CountryParisienne's Flag is: France
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 93
Likes (Given): 319
Likes (Received): 261
Dislikes (Given): 13
Dislikes (Received): 6

#IstandforPalestine
Thats a rubbish thinkin, " my bakra is bettrr thn urs" lol jo b Qurbani do ge Jaan us Janwar ki Allah ke paas jayegi.
N what ever u may get for Qurbani..who cares? U ( generally speeking)do it for the Sake of Allah n not to Show n compete wth People
ths my opinion of course