Asian Massive Crew Community 2002/2020 - View Single Post - Walden Wasn’t Thoreau’s Masterpiece
View Single Post

Re: Walden Wasn’t Thoreau’s Masterpiece
Old 11-06-2019   #4
balti
Wild Poster

male
balti will become famous soon enough
My Mood:
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given):
Thanks (Received):
Likes (Given):
Likes (Received):
Dislikes (Given):
Dislikes (Received):

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive
Re: Walden Wasn’t Thoreau’s Masterpiece

or Thoreau, Humboldt’s global vision galvanized a more personal, provincial approach to experiencing the vast living organism that was nature. A little stream in Concord was his stand-in for Humboldt’s thundering Orinoco River, the neighboring hills became Thoreau’s Andes, and according to Emerson, the Atlantic Ocean was for Thoreau “a large Walden Pond.” As he surveyed his smaller domain, Thoreau could sound supremely anthropocentric: “What is nature unless there is an eventful human life passing within her?” he wrote at one point. “Nature nought without human experience,” he jotted at another. But Thoreau could also adopt a less domineering voice—in Walden he famously asked, “Am I not partly leaves and vegetable mould myself?” He was deeply interested in what he called “the mysterious relation between myself and these things.”

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle