The Story of the Merchant and the Genie - Asian Massive Crew Community 2002/2020

Advertisements

★ ♥ ★ A Multicultural Community that unites people from all over the world ★ ♥ ★
Go Back   Asian Massive Crew Community 2002/2020 > ENTERTAINMENT > Desi World > Lollywood
Forgotten Your Password? Register
User Tag List

The Story of the Merchant and the Genie
Old 16-06-2010
HØØÐËÐ_SÏStÂH
Nutty Poster!

HØØÐËÐ_SÏStÂH is on a distinguished road
My Mood:
The bacbiter shall not enter in Paradise

The Story of the Merchant and the Genie

“SIR, there was formerly a merchant who had a great estate in lands, goods, and money. He had numbers of deputies, fetors, and slaves. One day, being under the necessity of going a long journey, he mounted his horse, and put a wallet behind him with some biscuits and dates, because he had to pass over a great desert, where he could procure no provisions. He arrived without accident at the end of his journey; and, having dispatched his business, took horse again, in order to return home.
"On the fourth day of his journey, being in want of refreshment, he alighted from his horse, and sitting down by a fountain, took some biscuits and dates out of his wallet; and, as he ate his dates, he threw the stones about on all sides. When he had done eating, being a good Mussulman, he washed his hands, his face and his feet, and said his payers. He was still on his knees, when he saw a Genie appear, white with age, and of enormous stature. The monster advanced towards him, scimitar in hand, and spoke to him in a terrible voice, thus: ' Rise up, that I may kill thee, as thou hast killed my son.' The merchant, frightened at the hideous shape of the giant, answered : ' How can I have slain thy son? I do not know him, nor have I ever seen him.' 'What!' replied the Genie, 'didst not thou take dates out of thy wallet, and after eating them, didst not thou throw the stones on all sides? ' 'I do not deny it,’ answered the merchant. 'Then,’ said the Genie, 'I tell thee thou hast killed my son: and the way was thus: When thou threwest the date stones, my son was passing by, and one of them was flung into his eye, and killed him; therefore I must kill thee' Ah! my lord, pardon me,’ cried the merchant; 'for, if I have killed thy son, it was accidentally; therefore suffer me to live.’ 'No, no,’ said the Genie, ‘I must kill thee, since thou hast killed my son.’ The Genie then threw the merchant upon the ground, and lifted up the scimitar to cut off his head.”

When Sheherazade spoke these words, she perceived it was day; and knowing that the Sultan rose betimes in the morning, she held her peace. " Oh sister,” said Dinarzade, "what a wonderful story is this!" "The remainder of it,” said Sheherazade, "is more surprising; and you will be of my mind if the Sultan will let me live this day, and permit me to continue the story to-night,” Shahriar, who had listened to Sheherazade with pleasure, said to himself "I will let her stay till to-morrow, for I can at any time put her to death, when she has made an end of her story.” So, having resolved to defer her death till the following day, he arose, and having prayed, went to the council.

The grand vizier, in the meantime, was in a state of cruel suspense. Unable to sleep, he passed the night in lamenting the approaching fate of his daughter, whose executioner he was destined to be. How great was his surprise when the Sultan entered the council chamber, without giving him the horrible order he expected.

The Sultan spent the day, as usual, in regulating the affairs of his kingdom; and on the approach of night retired with Sheherazade to his apartment. The next morning, before the day appeared, Dinarzade did not fail to address her sister: "My dear sister," she said, "if you are not asleep, I entreat you, before the morning breaks, to continue your story,” The Sultan did not wait for Sheherazade to ask permission, but said, "Finish the tale of the Genie and the Merchant,” Sheherazade immediately went on as follows:

"Sir, when the merchant perceived that the Genie was about to slay him, he cried, 'One word more, I entreat the give me time to go and take leave of my wife and children and divide my estate among them, as I have not yet made my will; and when I have set my house in order, I promise to return to this spot, and submit myself to thee.' 'But if I grant thee the respite thou askest,' replied the Genie, 'I fear thou wilt not return.' ‘I swear by the God of heaven and earth, that I will not fail to repair hither.' ‘What length of time requirest thou?' said the Genie: ‘It will take me a full year to arrange everything. But I promise thee, that afterr twelve months have passed thou shalt find me under these trees, waiting to deliver myself into thy hands.' On this, the Genie left him, and immediately disappeared.

"The merchant, having recovered from his fright, mounted his horse, and continued his journey. But if, on the one hand, he rejoiced at escaping for the moment from a great present peril, he was, on the other, much distressed, when he recollected the fatal oath he had taken. On his arrival at home, his wife and family received him with signs of the greatest joy; but instead of returning their embraces, he wept so bitterly that they supposed something very extraordinary had happened. His wife inquired the cause of his tears, and of his violent grief.' Alas!' he replied, ' how should I feel cheerful, when I have only a year to live?’ He then related to them what had passed, and that he had given his word to return, and at the end of a year, to submit to his death.

"When they heard this melancholy tale, they were in despair.

"The next day the merchant began to settle his affairs, and first of all to pay his debts. He made many presents to his different friends, and large donations to the poor. He set at liberty many of his slaves of both sexes; divided his property among his children; appointed guardians for those of tender age; to his wife he returned all the fortune she brought him, and added as much more as the law would permit.

" The year soon passed away, and he was compelled to depart. He took in his wallet his graveclothes; but when he attempted to take leave of his wife and children, his grief quite overwhelmed him. They could not bear his loss, and almost resolved to accompany him, and all perish together. Compelled at length to tear himself away, he addressed them in these words: 'In leaving you, my children, I obey the
command of God; imitate me, and submit with fortitude to his necessity. Remember, that to die is the inevitable destiny of man.' Having said this he snatched himself away from them, and set out. He arrived at the destined spot on the very day he had promised. He got off his horse, and, seating himself by the side of the fountain, with such sorrowful sensations as may easily be imagined, waited the arrival of the Genie.

"While he was kept in this cruel suspense, there appeared an old man leading a hind, who came near to him. When they had saluted each other, the old man said, ‘May I ask of you, brother, what brought you to this desert place, which is so full of evil genii, that there is no safety? From the appearance of these trees, one might suppose this spot was inhabited; but it is, in fact, a solitude, where to tarry is dangerous.'

"The merchant satisfied the old man's curiosity, and related his adventure. The old man listened with astonishment to the account, and when it was ended, he said, 'Surely nothing in the world can be more surprising; and you have kept your oath inviolate! In truth I should like to be a witness to your interview with the Genie.' Having said this, he sat down near the merchant, and while they were talking, another old man, followed by two black dogs, appeared. As soon as he was near enough, he saluted them, and inquired the reason of their stay in that place. The first old man related the adventure of the merchant, and added, that this was the appointed day, and therefore he was determined to remain, to see the event.

"The second old man resolved to stay likewise; and sitting down, joined in the conversation. He was hardly seated, when a third arrived, and addressing himself to the other two, asked why the merchant, who was with them, appeared so melancholy. They related the cause, which seemed to the newcomer so wonderful, that he also resolved to be witness to what passed between the Genie and the merchant.

"They quickly perceived, towards the plain, a thick vapour or smoke, like a column of dust, raised by the wind. This vapour approached them; and on its sudden disappearance, they saw the Genie, who, without noticing them, went towards the merchant, with his scimitar in his hand; and taking him by the arm, cried, 'Get up, that I may kill thee as thou hast slain my son.' The merchant and the three old men were so horrified that they began to weep, and filled the air with their lamentations.

"When the old man, who led the hind, saw the Genie lay hold of the merchant, and about to murder him without mercy, he threw himself at the monster's feet and kissing them, said, 'Prince of the Genii, I humbly entreat you to abate your rage, and do me the favour to listen to me. I wish to relate my own history, and that of the hind, which you see here! and if you find it more wonderful and surprising than the adventure of this merchant, whose life you wish to take, may I not hope that you will at least remit a third part of the punishment of this unfortunate man? 'After meditating for some time, the Genie answered, ' Good; I agree to it.'"

"Don’t ever think that dying upon the shahdah will be easy. The tongue utters what’s in the heart. Reflect."

5 Lastest Threads by HØØÐËÐ_SÏStÂH
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
The Night Journey Islamic literature HØØÐËÐ_SÏStÂH 0 1 18-06-2019 22:05
Quranic lessons from animals Islamic literature HØØÐËÐ_SÏStÂH 0 1 17-06-2019 18:35
Why Eid-ul Adha matters Islamic literature HØØÐËÐ_SÏStÂH 0 1 17-06-2019 18:31
'Eco mosque' opens for prayers in Cambridge Topics & Posts For Public Viewing HØØÐËÐ_SÏStÂH 0 1 11-06-2019 08:08
Bulgaria follows France and Netherlands in move... Topics & Posts For Public Viewing HØØÐËÐ_SÏStÂH 0 1 26-08-2018 02:02